Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Wild Silk Moth



Found this little fellow in my greenhouse a few weeks ago. I was wondering what it was so I took its picture and sent it off to a friend who is an expert in such things. She told me it is a Wild Silk Moth. Wow what a deal. I know we had wild silk moths in TX but never thought I would ever see one.

I did some research to found out what they eat. Hmm the like various different types of trees and some of the are citrus. Oh no I have a lime tree in the greenhouse. The little worms can eat 10's of thousand times their weight. So I checked the leaves of my lime tree for eggs, it is fine and I have not seen much munching on the leaves. Isn't nature wonderful?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

After seeing this post, I posted a photo on my blog of a moth we saw here about a month ago... the url is http://weavingrainbow.com/HSblog I wonder if it's the same moth!