Monday, July 20, 2009

Rain Rain Go Away Come Again Another Day

That is a children's song I remember from when I was growing up. After almost 2 years of not having any really good measurable rain I am finding this to be a terrible song. Last week many of my fellow master gardeners and I attended a rain barrel making workshop. Billy Kniffen who is the big guru for rain water harvesting here in TX ran the workshop. I have posted some of the photographs my friend Marilyn Pease took at the workshop. I am now ready and loaded to make a string of barrels for over in my veggie garden. I will take pictures of my progress on my barrels.







This is Billy showing us how to drill the holes in each barrel.













There are several types of barrels and ways to use them here in the photo. You can use it to have a continual drip feed to a birdbath or wildlife water system, like the one below.





The next photo is a way of using rain water catchment for wild life. It is called a Wild life guzzler

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Russell,

Thank you very much for all the great sharing here. Would you please kindly go into more depth about using barrel to provide the water source for dripping system? I have never set up any drip system before; so as detail as you can be would definitely be much appreciated. For example, how high do we have to raise the barrel for an effective drip system. How long of a drip system would the barrel be most effective with? etc.

Best regards,
John

Deborah said...

John you bet I am sorry I haven't answered you sooner. I will be speaking with a friend of mine in a few weeks who is doing this now and maybe I can get some pictures to add to the discription.
thanks for your post.